The City Secretary is the local official who administers democratic processes such as elections, access to city records, and all legislative actions ensuring transparency to the public. The City Secretary acts as a compliance officer for federal, state, and local statutes including the Texas Public Information Act and the Texas Open Meetings Act. The City Secretary also manages public inquiries and relationships and arranges for ceremonial and official functions.
It is the mission of the Office of the City Secretary (OCS) to provide quality customer service and equal access to open and transparent government. The City Secretary performs various professional and managerial duties according to Statute and the Municipal Code. The City Secretary also responds to requests of citizens and the needs of various city departments.
The City Secretary provides Legislative and Administrative support to the Mayor and Council while responsible for the following:
- Board and Commission Appointment Process: Recruitment, Applications, and Training. The City Secretary is the Boards and Commissions Liason for the City Council.
- Serves as Records Management Officer (RMO) overseeing the Records Management Program and Public Information Requests. The City Secretary manages the proper maintenance and disposition of City records and information according to statute and helps to preserve City History.
- Serves as the Public Information Officer and is responsible for official communications of the City including Public Relations, maintenance of the City website, Digital Media, and Publications.
- Serves as the City's Chief Elections Officer and is responsible for the administration of City Elections.
- Oversees the Audio/Visual Production of City Council Meetings.
- Facilitates the Preparation of Council Meeting Agendas, Packets, and Minutes.
- Processes alcoholic beverage permit requests and collects beverage occupancy tax from establishments annually.
- Processes Short Term Rental Special Use Permit requests and oversees compliance with City ordinances.
The City Secretary facilitates the execution of all official and legislative processes for the City, attesting to the passing of resolutions and ordinances, and attending all City Council meetings.
The Office of the City Secretary ensures the City's Elections are being conducted in accordance with the Texas Election Code and the City Charter including:
- Coordinates with Brewster County Elections Administration for General and Special Elections.
- Serves as Filing Authority of Candidate Applications, & Candidate and Officeholder Campaign Finance Contribution/Expenditure Reports.
- Drafts and reviews Ballot Information, Election Notices, Ordinances, Orders, and ensure the accurate translation of Election Documents.
- Posts and Publishes Legal Notices.
- Monitors the Vote Totals on Election Day.
See the City ELECTIONS page.
ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE PERMITS
Businesses that wish to apply for a liquor license/beer permit from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission are required to obtain the City Secretary's signature on the form. The signature is obtained after completing the permit process.
CITY RECORDS (PUBLIC INFORMATION REQUESTS)
The Office of the City Secretary records official actions and legislation of the municipal government, documenting the proceedings of meetings and retaining other legal and historical records. The City Secretary also serves as the City's Records Management Officer and facilitates responses to all Public Information Requests.
Find more information about PUBLIC INFORMATION REQUESTS.
COUNCIL MEETING AGENDAS AND MINUTES
The City Secretary coordinates, schedules, and attends all City Council Meetings. To view City Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes, please select from the options below:
View all City Council Agendas.
View all City Council Minutes.
CITY ORDINANCES AND RESOLUTIONS
To view City Ordinances and Resolutions, please visit our Code of Ordinances and select the document icon labeled "Browse additional online documents." Questions may be directed to the Office of the City Secretary.
Geoffrey R. Calderon
Alexandra L. Tackett
Phone: (432) 837-3301
Cell: (432) 538-2002
Fax: (432) 837-2024
City Hall Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 12:00pm
1:00pm - 5:00pm
100 N 13th St
Alpine, Texas 79830